Iowa commit Ava Jones’ father dies after being struck by car

The father of Iowa basketball commit Ava Jones died following a car collision that left her and her family hospitalized.

The Jefferson County Coroner’s Office confirmed to local media on Friday that William “Trey” Arthur Jones III died at 44 years old on Thursday from injuries sustained in the Tuesday collision. Ava Jones, her younger brother and parents Amy and Trey were all hospitalized after they were struck by a car as they walked in downtown Louisville, Kentucky.

Ava, a rising senior, stars for the Nickerson High School basketball team in Kansas. She recently committed to play for the University of Iowa. She and her family were in Louisville as she competed in Run 4 the Roses AAU basketball tournament with Wheat State Elite.

The University of Louisville Hospital told the Louisville Courier-Journal on Friday that Ava and Amy remain in critical condition. Trey’s mother Mary Jones told the News that they both remained on ventilators.

“Ava is stable but critical,” Mary Jones said. “Amy is stable but critical, too, but Amy’s got a lot of things going. They’re both still on a (ventilator). They’re trying to get Ava off, but it’s a process. Just slow going.”

Ava’s younger brother was treated for “minor injuries,” according to Louisville Metro Police.

Per the Courier-Journal, Trey taught woodworking at Nickerson and coached Ava on the school’s track and field team.

The car’s alleged driver, 33-year-old Michael Hurley of Lexington, Indiana, was arrested and initially charged with four counts of first-degree assault, driving under the influence and a license possession violation. LMPD announced on Friday that the Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office is now charging Hurley with murder in addition to the original charges.

According to Hurley’s arrest report, he allegedly drove onto the sidewalk while making a left turn when his car struck the Jones family. Per the report, he told police that he had recently taken hydrocodone and was “so tired that he could not make the turn.” He pleaded not guilty to the initial round of charges during a Wednesday arraignment hearing.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.