CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook as the Browns trail Pittsburgh, 14-13.
1. Pittsburgh took a different approach to attacking the Cleveland defense, In the first half, the Steelers ran it 16 times for 88 yards. The Browns had trouble defending the run. Pittsburgh scored on a 1-yard run by Mentor’s Mitch Trubisky and a 5-yard run by Najee Harris.
2. Trubisky was 9 of 13 passing for 109 yards. He connected with George Pickens for a 36-yard catch, an eye-popping one-handed grab by the rookie from Georgia Tech.
3. Jacoby Brissett had a strong first half. He was 16 of 22 passing for 134 yards and a pair of TDs. It was like he played vs. the Jets on Sunday.
4. The Browns finally incorporated tight end David Njoku into the offense. He made a tremendous leaping catch in the end zone for a 7-yard TD. He had seven catches for 69 yards. Amari Cooper caught four passes for 35 yards.
5. Welcome to Cleveland. Rookie kicker Cade York missed an extra point in the Browns’ 31-30 loss to the Jets last Sunday. In the second quarter, his extra-point attempt banged off the upright and was missed. He connected on an extra point earlier in the game.
6. The Browns opened with Jack Conklin at right tackle, the first time the veteran has played this season. Demetric Felton had been returning punts. He was inactive. Veteran Chester Rogers took his spot.
7. The Browns had a breakdown on special teams when a Corey Bojorquez punt was partially blocked by Pittsburgh’s Miles Killebrew. It traveled only 25 yards. That gave Pittsburgh the ball on the Cleveland 48-yard line. The Steelers did pick up a first down. They set up a 49-yard field, but Chris Boswell missed it.
8. In the first quarter, Brissett picked up a first down on a fourth-and-1 situation. It’s the fourth time this season Brissett has used the QB sneak for a first down. He’s 6-foot-4 and 235 pounds and extremely strong.
9. Brissett’s QB sneak kept the drive alive. Nick Chubb broke loose for a 36-yard rumble where he broke at least three tackles. Then Brissett hit Amari Cooper with a laser pass for a 12-yard TD. Chubb had 54 yards on six carries in the first quarter.
More Browns coverage
Coaches feeling pressure adds more meaning to Browns-Steelers game – Terry Pluto’s Pregame Scribbles
NFL quarterback power rankings: How Jacoby Brissett, Joe Burrow and Mitch Trubisky compare after Week 2
How the Browns can use Bill Belichick’s game plan to beat the Steelers: Film Review
Why Kareem Hunt should have a big game as the Browns take on the Steelers: Ashley Bastock
Has Mike Priefer made the Browns special teams better or not?
Browns vs. Steelers: Game preview, prop bets and game picks for Thursday Night Football: Orange and Brown Talk
Why David Njoku will score a touchdown for the Browns Thursday night: Dan Labbe
Browns vs. Steelers: Picks for Thursday Night Football
Avoiding the turnover trap and two more things to watch in Browns vs. Steelers on Thursday Night Football
On Myles Garrett and booing, Nick Chubb and scoring, the players-only meeting and more: Mary Kay Cabot’s Browns takes
Watch Nick Chubb, Jacoby Brissett, Amari Cooper and other Browns discuss the Steelers game
Myles Garrett, Joel Bitonio, Jack Conklin all set to face the Steelers Thursday night in wake of injuries
Joe Haden to sign a one-day Browns contract to retire with them; will be honored at a game this season