Damon Lindelof – the acclaimed writer and producer behind HBO’s award-winning television adaptation of Guardians – recently pondered whether he actually wants to go through with making his plan Star wars movie.
During an interview with /Film at SXSW, Lindelof opened up about the pressures that come with working on one Star wars project. “I just want to say that for reasons that I can’t get into on this Sunday morning, on this day, the severity is extremely, extremely, extremely high,” he said. “If it can’t be great, it shouldn’t exist. That’s all I’m going to say, because I have the same attachment to it as you, which is to say, it’s the first movie I saw sitting on my dad’s lap, four years old, May 77. I think it’s possible that sometimes when you hold something in such high reverence and esteem, you start getting into the kitchen and you just say, “Maybe I shouldn’t cook . Maybe I should just be eating.’ We’ll just leave it at that point.”
Damon Lindelof’s Star Wars movie takes place after Episode IX
Reports of Lindelof working on a Star wars feature film first appeared in March 2022. The following October, it was confirmed that Lost co-creator had actually been tapped to help write a new one Star wars film with an unannounced writing partner, with Obaid-Chinoy (Mrs. Marvel) in conversations with direct. It was quickly reported that Lindelof’s planned film would take place after the events of the 2019 feature Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalkerbut would not be part of the current nine film The Skywalker Saga. Despite the fact that it is an independent project, it is possible that grades from Star wars Sequel Trilogy (The power is awakened, The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker) will appear in Lindelof’s film.
Despite Lindelof’s Star wars movie that is apparently still in development, it remains to be seen when exactly fans can expect to see another feature film in the franchise hit the big screen. To date a total of 11 live-action Star wars feature film — the nine The Skywalker Saga records plus the two Star Wars history anthology film – has been released theatrically. But since The Rise of Skywalker released in 2019, plans to Star wars‘ the future of big screens has been constantly changing.
Cloudy, Star Wars’ Big-Screen Future Is
In December 2020, it was announced that the next Star wars feature film would be Rogue Squadron. wonder Woman Helmer Patty Jenkins was on board to direct, and the project initially had its eye on a theatrical release in December 2023. However, the project has had a troubled development, as it recently emerged Rogue Squadron had been officially shelved by the Disney-owned Lucasfilm. The one without title Star wars movie previously developed by Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige is also no longer moving forward. It remains to be seen if both projects will be revived down the road (which i Rogue Squadron‘s case, would not be unprecedented).
That said, while Jenkins and Feige are Star wars projects have been shelved for the time being, Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi’s planned film set in the galaxy far, far away is reportedly still in active development. What’s more, Waititi is said to be eyeing a supporting role of his own Star wars movie. This is very much on fire for the director, who often appears in the films he directs, such as Yoyo Rabbit and the aforementioned Ragnarok.
Of course, while the future of Star wars feature film is still somewhat uncertain, the franchise certainly hasn’t been absent from screens since The Skywalker Saga wrapped. In the last few years, Star wars has firmly established itself on the small screen thanks to live-action Disney+ series such as The Mandalorian, The book about Boba Fett, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Andor. At least two more shows — Ahsoka and Star Wars: The Skeleton Crew — expected to debut on Disney+ this year, followed by The acolyte in 2024.