CLEVELAND, Ohio – A museum in Louisville is holding “Art of Bourbon” – its fifth annual auction of rare bottles.
Speed Art Museum’s fundraising auction is 7:15 to 8:45 pm tonight – Thursday, Sept. 22. The auction’s online portion is free to bid, but registration is required via artofbourbon.org.
The lineup is composed of 38 lots of rare bourbons and VIP experiences, including:
• 8-year-old Booker’s bottled in 1987.
• Blanton’s 1992.
• 2020 King of Kentucky Barrel 6.
• 7-year Gold Vein Old Weller from 1970s, 107 proof.
• Dowling Deluxe, an aged 14-year-old bottled in the 1970s.
• 1905 Overholt Rye from the Richard and Andrew Mellon estate. (“A 1.5-ounce pour will set you back $1,000, and that’s if you can even get it,” said bourbon expert Fred Minnick.)
• Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2015 and 2016, auctioned as a pair.
• BPR Rye Bottled in Bond, bottled in 1942 – also known as Baltimore Pure Rye.
• Van Winkle 12-year-old, lot B, donated and signed by Julian Van Winkle.
A Maker’s Mark private selection experience is also open for bids. It offers the winner and four friends a private distillery tour and experience of creating a barrel of their own expression of Maker’s Mark.
For detailed bottle descriptions, see the catalog online.
Auction proceeds support Speed’s educational programs and exhibitions.
I am ten cleveland.com‘s life and culture team and cover food, beer, wine and sports-related topics. If you want to see my stories, here’s a directory on cleveland.com. Bill Wills of WTAM-1100 and I talk food and drink usually at 8:20 am Thursday morning. Twitter: @mbona30.
Get a jumpstart on the weekend and sign up for Cleveland.com’s weekly “In the CLE” email newsletter, your essential guide to the top things to do in Greater Cleveland. It will arrive in your inbox on Friday mornings – an exclusive to-do list, focusing on the best of the weekend fun. Restaurants, music, movies, performing arts, family fun and more. Just click here to subscribe. All cleveland.com newsletters are free.
Like cool local food + drinks photos and videos? Follow @DineDrinkCLE on Instagram.