- A new report has revealed the list of countries Nigerian exported some interesting items
- The items include helicopters, airplanes, cruise ships, ships and scrapers among several others
- A total of 57 of these items were exported to several countries in Europe and Africa
Nigeria has long been described as a largely import-dependent country, but in recent years the government has tried to change the narrative.
For instance, in the foreign trade report for the last quarter (September to December) of 2022 released by the National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria’s total trade was recorded as N11.72 trillion.
Of this amount, N6.35 billion was attributed to exports while N5.36 billion was related to imports.
The report further indicated an interesting trend that N199.59 billion, representing 3.14% of total exports, was made up of goods that were first imported into Nigeria before being re-exported.
BE AWARE: Check news that has been selected accurately for you ➡️ find “Recommended for you” Block on the website and enjoy!
The re-exported goods include vessels and other floating structures for division, cruise ships, airplanes and other aircraft, among several others.
They were exported to European countries and several other African countries.
Destination and exported goods
In the quarter under review, the top five re-export destinations were Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Great Britain, China and the Netherlands.
While the most re-exported commodity was ‘Vessels and other floating structures for breaking up’ with N8.04 trillion, this was followed by ‘Floating or submersible drilling or production platforms’ worth M4.96 trillion and ‘Aircraft and other aircraft, of a dead weight of over 15,000 kg’ equivalent to N3.43trn.
Top five interesting items exported and to which country
- Cruise ships worth N15.9 billion. was exported to Cameroon
- Helicopters worth N4.27 billion. was exported to Great Britain and Ghana
- Beauty or makeup items worth N6.33 million were exported to Guniea
- Electrical plugs and sockets worth N112,458 were exported to France
- Aircraft engine worth N107.93 million was exported to Belgium
- Dredgers worth N7.87 billion were exported to China
FG sells crude oil worth N21trn
In another report, Legit.ng revealed the list of countries buying Nigeria’s crude oil as over N21 trillion was sold in 2022.
Crude oil is Nigeria’s main export and a major source of revenue for the Federal Government of Nigeria.
The Netherlands was the country’s biggest customer last quarter, and the US also made the top 10 list.